Monday 2 January 2012

Colette Macaron

I finished my Macaron dress, by Colette patterns a wee while ago, but have only recently worn it again to get a photo or two.




Pattern Description: A flattering and curvy dress. Includes a bodice fitted with darts, along with a contrasting top yoke, sleeves, and narrow midriff band. Short sleeves are gently scalloped along the sleeve hem, echoing the shape of the bodice. Skirt has large pleats, with pockets hidden in the front pleats. Closes with an invisible side zipper.


Pattern Sizing:Size 0 -18. I made a 14 in the bodice, transitioning to a 16 in the waist and hips.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, pretty close.


Were the instructions easy to follow?As with all Colette patterns, the instructions were extremely well written with lots of helpful diagrams.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked that there was the opportunity to try out different fabric combinations, and that the design of the dress lends itself to being dressed up or down depending how you style it. I have worn it with heels and a wrap for a wedding, and also with tights and boots as a more casual outfit.

My only minor dislike was the facing around the neckline won't stay put very well, despite stitching it to all available seams inside. Next time I may just use binding as a facing.


Fabric Used:The main fabric is a stretch cotton sateen, and the contrast sleeves and yoke are a poly/cotton poplin.



Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: As previously mentioned, I made the bodice a size 14, and transitioned to a 16 from the waist down. 

If I were to make this again, I think I might omit the waist band, and sew the skirt to the bodice, as I feel the waist might be a bit low. Also next time I would keep the waistband at a size 14, thus getting the bodice to fit a little better.

The shoulders are also binding a little bit, if I try to lift my arms too high - not sure if this is just the style of sleeve, or how I would go about fixing this for next time. 


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would like to sew this again, once I figure out how to fix the few quirks I found. I would definitely recommend this and other Colette patterns, particularly if you are of a more curvy persuasion!

2 comments:

  1. I love your Macaron! I've been meaning to sew one for awhile, as I suspect it will be rather flattering. I just can't decide on a fabric combo, though! Yours is nicely matched :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww ... thanks for the nice compliment. I find it a really flattering design - you should go for it definitely!

      Delete