Monday, 17 September 2012

Colette Sorbetto

Pattern Description: ultra-simple and swingy little top! With its ultra simple construction, elegant loose cut shaped with bust darts, and the box pleat detail down the front, this is a pattern you can throw together in a huge range of fabrics for summer.

Pattern Sizing: 0 - 18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? This version doesn't quite look the original, due to a minor design change.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Super easy!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I have now made this pattern up three times, with plans for at least one more. You can make quite small changes, that give a completely different look

Fabric Used: This floral fabric is a mystery length that has been lurking in my sewing box for several years. No real idea what it is, but it drapes nicely!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: On this make, I did the front pleat as an inverted pleat, rather than a box pleat.
On previous makes, I've done the neck and arm bindings to the inside, and another version with an inverted pleat.
I also lengthened it by 2".

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I have plans to make at least one more of these, as they are easy to make, and easy to wear!

A great wee top, with lots of design possibilities.

Thursday, 13 September 2012

Burda 9793 - Boys Shorts

I recently made up view C of Burda 9793 - boys shorts. Twice, just for good measure.

The first ones were in a grey/blue/green skate fabric, a cotton drill which had been hiding in the bottom of my fabric bin for a while. I opted to make the pocket bags from some matching poplin to reduce bulk, which in the end was not necessary.


My only issue with this pattern was the instructions for the faux fly. For some reason, I just couldn't figure out what they were trying to explain, so ended up just stitching it down.

The second pair was made out of a cotton drill also, green with white stars. The exciting part of these was that I made them completely on my Singer 201, straight stitch machine!

The second pair are french seamed throughout, and then topstitched  for mock felled seams.

Perhaps a lot of work for a pair of boys rough and tumble shorts, but they look nice and they served the aim of me getting to grips with my new old sewing machine.

I will definitely be making these again (and again...) as they are quick and easy and look great, and plan to make the longer pants too when the weather starts cooling off again next autumn.

Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Vogue 8626 Coat

Lined coats A, B, C in two lengths, A-line with or without collar, close fitting with princess seams, back pleats, long sleeves with elbow darts, and top stitching trim.

Pattern Sizing: (8 10 12 14)- (16 18 20 22 24) with pattern pieces for ABC&D cups.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, I think the drawing was fairly accurate.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It went together easily with no particular issues.
The sleeves as drafted are tiny. I spent quite a bit of time redrafting them, and I'm still not sure they are exactly how I want them.

I muslined this coat twice before I cut into my wool, as I was a bit iffy on the sizing. 
Looking at previous reviews, it looked HUGE, so I tried a size down from my usual, which fit fine for a dress coat, but was going to be a bit tight made up in the wool. 
I re-muslined in my usual size, with the re-drafted sleeve and that was much better! 
I think it is the deep pleat in the back that makes it look quite billowy.

Fabric Used: A grey wool coating, with a blue, grey and burgundy patterned lining which was silk (I think?!)
The coating was lovely to work with, and sewed together beautifully.
The lining was a complete pain - fraying, slipping .... aaaagh!! It looked pretty though 

I liked the idea of the knee length coat, but was a bit concerned it would swamp me, as I am only 5'2". I originally muslined the shorter length, but didn't like it, so ended up with something in the middle which was 3" shorter than the longer view (or 3" longer than the short view)
As mentioned above the sleeves were tiny - so I redrafted them as a 2 piece sleeve to add the extra width.
I sewed down the insides of the back pleat to hold the pleat and also try to stop the billowy back.

I lined up the smaller side pleats with the princess seams in the back by making them tiny box pleats.

I attached smaller buttons on the inside of the coat behind the larger buttons to stop the thread pulling on the coat when I am buttoning it.

I probably won't sew it again, as I have other coat patterns I would like to try, but would definitely recommend it as a good pattern to start on.