Saturday, 27 February 2016

That 70's Blouse - take two!

I've made Butterick 6037 previously here, so won't bore you with going over the same ground again.

This time I added a small FBA that I rotated into the shoulder gathers, and a full butt adjustment to account for where my previous version was getting a bit hung up.

I had a little fabric left over from my Appleton wrap dress, but since this fabric is a knit, I probably didn't need to bother with the changes.

Need to adjust those shoulder straps a bit?

Verdict: Still like the pattern a lot. Will make again, again.

Saturday, 20 February 2016

Style Arc Toni Designer Dress

This dress, though not my usual style, really appealed to me when it was released at the beginning of last year.

I right away set to shortening the pieces, and then found myself some navy seersucker to trial it.

I was going along merrily until I got to sewing the centre front seam, and could not for the life of me get the collar points to meet in the front, as shown in the illustration above.
Then the neckline facing was trying to escape out that same gap!

This was hung on the back of my sewing room door with the other W.I.P's, and there it stayed until a couple of weeks ago, when I decided to release it from it's exile and see if I could save it.
I took it in for some advice from the always lovely Maryanne, at Made on Marion, where she diagnosed my error and promptly explained what I needed to do to fix it.

After the fairly simple fix, all it actually needed to be finished was side seams and the hem sewn! 15 minutes of work, after languishing for a year. Doh!

Having now completed it, I believe the fabric to be a little too firm for this design, as it has a much more architectural look than I was hoping for.
As this was originally conceived as a pattern trial I'm not too upset, though I may take some of the width out of the 'wings', because I otherwise like the fit and colour on me.

Verdict: I would like to try it again in another more drapey fabric, perhaps a rayon, tencel or similar.

Saturday, 13 February 2016

Style Arc Harper Jacket

Yet another pattern I made, that gained some popularity within the Fabric Hoarders group was the Style Arc Harper Jacket.

I made my first version from a double faced wool that upon pre-treating became slightly felted looking. I left this version with raw edges, as designed in the pattern, as this fabric did not ravel or fray.
I wore this almost constantly through last Winter, and on cooler nights through the Spring.

With the success of my first version, I made a second one over the Summer break, this time from a merino sweatshirting in a raspberry colour. For this version, I narrow hemmed the edges to neaten.

I have yet to attach the hook and eyes on the shoulders, so for the moment this only functions as a drape front cardigan/jacket.

Saturday, 6 February 2016

Sew House Seven - Alberta Street Pencil Skirt

I initially decided to give this pattern a try for Indie Pattern Month, but procrastinated as usual, so while it was finished, I didn't get to taking photos in time.

I love a good pencil skirt, and with the added benefit of pockets, trialing this pattern was a no brainer.

I went with the size that matched my measurements, and with the exception of my usual full butt adjustment, made this as designed.  I ended up turning a very narrow hem with bias tape, as I liked the final unhemmed length, which hits just below my knee.

I used a herringbone weave denim with no stretch in a faded grey colour.

Having worn this skirt at least once a week for the past few months, I can confirm it is very comfortable and has a nice fit that I like.

For when I make it again, I will narrow the waistband slightly, and also shorten the pockets a tad as they are a bit deep at the moment.
I may lengthen it in order to do a standard double fold hem, but actually really like the bias tape finish in this version.