Monday 27 February 2012

Your Style Rocks - Eva Dress

After reading about the Your Style Rocks on Lazy Stitching's blog, I went to take a look, and fell in love with the Eva Dress.


It's size range finished just a squirt below my own, but I was keen enough to want to give it a try.

After taking advice from the ladies over at Pattern Review about the best way to incorporate my needed alterations, I made a trial of the pattern up in a cotton jersey. The fit was pretty spot on, so I went ahead and made it up in a lovely raspberry coloured merino knit.

The alterations I made were to add 1" to the centre of the front pattern pieces to accommodate a fuller bust and a fuller tummy than was originally intended. I also pulled the top drape piece a little tauter than than the under piece it is tacked to, so the pleats were held a little better.


The drape is designed to start at the waist on one side, and sweep down over the opposite hip, which is a nice detail that lifts the design beyond a plain dress. It also has an inverted box pleat in the back that provides nice shaping too.


It is a very flattering design, and was reasonably quick to go together. I think it has the potential to be dressed up or down depending on how you styled it, and it would make a great dress for travel if you were to use a no-crinkle knit.


I'm still trying to figure out how the cowl neck should be arranged, but this seemed the most flattering way on this particular day!

6 comments:

  1. I love your dress. So nice to see that pattern made up. I have some digital print viscose jersey put aside to make one. Can't wait to sew it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv it!! Getting the pattern as I type! (without typos this time) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! It turned out really nicely! Thanks for showing us the pictures, it's always so good to get to see the results when people use our patterns. Just makes us happy! :-)
    Kim from yourstylerocks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. Lovely! I found this through a PR person too but felt a bit intimidated. I might dive in because now because I know I can send you a question or two!
    Leu (from PR)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I had seen the picture of this dress from your style rocks and immediately dismissed it, thinking it was certain to be unflattering on pretty much anyone. You've made me rethink this! It looks so fantastic, you've done a great job with fit and that fabric is a smart choice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this!!! Bookmarking now.

    ReplyDelete